Hello and welcome, everybody! It’s that time again. GDC occupied a lot of the news this week, but among that we have the following:
- Valve’s marketing director clarifies that they are not working on a Steam box… for now. Actually they left off the “for now” part, but let a man dream :3
- Peter Molyneux leaves Lionhead and Microsoft to start his own company once more. Shine on, you awesome fibber. Shine on… or go on to develop social/iOS games like other gaming legends.
- Blizzard offers a rather hefty
bountyreturning bonus for players who bring friends back to World of Warcraft…
- …which doesn’t quite distract from their announcement that Diablo III will not have PvP at launch.
- A quartet of big names – Will Wright, Sid Meier, John Romero, and Cliff Bleszinski – offer various insights on the state of the industry, ranging from concerns about self-referential development to homeless simulators. It makes sense in context.
- Tim Cain gives a postmortem on Fallout, sharing the dirt on how the now famous post-apocalyptic RPG almost never saw the light of day. Short answer: blame Windows NT. Watch the whole thing if you can, it’s enlightening stuff.
- Two men make more or less the same complaints about Japanese games, with vastly different levels of tact (and authority), I suggest the big picture might be a bit more complicated, and more!