Ooof… man, what was I thinking? Don’t… nobody even tell me the damage. If I don’t see the bill, it doesn’t exist. I’ll pretend this big stack of games I bought just magically appeared there. Yeah, that works for me. Anyhow, it’s time to distract myself, and you, with the news:
- Apple suffers a serious hack, allowing users to bypass some in-app purchases and get the goods for free. Welcome to the 99%, Apple users!
- Meanwhile, Microsoft posted its first loss in 26 years. Strangely enough, they could probably commiserate with Nintendo, right down to the “constant media doom chorus” thing.
- Michael Pachter speculates that Activision strongarmed Nintendo into developing a conventional Wii U controller, a silly notion for multiple reasons.
- Gamasutra’s half-year analysis of gaming industry retail paints a grim picture for 2012. The numbers don’t lie: CODBLOPS2 probably won’t save this year.
- Torchlight‘s developer uncovers more than a few similar art assets between a Chinese-based iOS MMO and their game. Purely coincidental, I’m sure.
- Weird new software categories show up on Steam’s droid app, the Ouya’s first game is a prequel to a game planned for 2015, and more!