Hello hellooooo! Here’s hoping this brisk fall evening is treating you well, and you’re not smarting from not-insubstantial gambling losses like I am. As mentioned I’m still struggling with Comcast-related internet woes, which were enough to delay but not permanently forestall the news. So let’s get on it, shall we? Today’s lineup covers the following:
- Square Enix dropped a Final Fantasy-sized bomb by revealing the latest updates for Final Fantasy XIV, including a phase-in for the subscription service. Cue panic and ridicule.
- That said, the changes do sound pretty swank, and the full list is worth reading if you’re so inclined. The larger question is, who’s in a gambling mood?
- Speaking of wailing and gnashing of teeth, Mass Effect 3‘s multiplayer mode has caused quite a stir. Best guess: the co-op missions are likely just supplements to the main plot and risk feeling somewhat unnecessary. Further evaluation requires building consensus.
- Netflix tries to call backsies on that whole Qwikster thing, in the process raising the question of whether we’re even ready for nationwide video streaming. Short answer, no. Long answer, are you out of your mind?!
- Zynga comes up with Project Z, also known as “our back-up plan in case relations with Facebook turn south.”
- Rovio overvalues itself even more, Obsidian hires Tim Cain, Sega confirms Valkyria Chronicles 3 isn’t getting localized, and more!
Continue reading ‘What Happened This Week – Square Enix Goes Double Or Nothing’ »
Valkyria Chronicles 2 had at least four major hurdles to clear: deliver a second helping of the first game’s quirky strategy and action; adhere to the cartoony, yet charming and often beautiful aesthetics; tie it together with a strong narrative; and do it all with the PSP’s hardware. It doesn’t quite clear them all, as it is saddled with competing partial stories and lingering smaller issues from its predecessor. However, VC2 expands intelligently on existing mechanics and smoothly adapts the engine to the portable platform so much that it feels right at home. Continue reading ‘Valkyria Chronicles 2 – Staff Review’ »
I wish game companies would just send the same screens and art to all these media outlets. Continue reading ‘Mass Media 01/16/10’ »
Anybody else who’s played VC will probably be as confused as I am after seeing these screens. Continue reading ‘Valkyria Chronicles 2 Media 01/07/10’ »
Chibi Kairi and Zack in Birth By Sleep. My life is complete. Continue reading ‘Mass Media 12/16/09’ »
Roku: As Roku’s father — he who formed Roku’s subconscious — I think that video is pretty accurate! Continued good luck with the site!” Continue reading ‘Not So Mass Media 12/14/09’ »
SlayerGhaleon tapes piece of paper over his sleeping pills
SlayerGhaleon writes “Vicodin, Prescribed to: Gregory House” on it
Halloween is a fun time of year. Continue reading ‘Mass Media 10/30/09’ »
The Pittsburgh Penguins meet President Obama.
That has nothing to do with this update, I just couldn’t think of anything clever to put here. Continue reading ‘Mass Media 09/11/09’ »
We’re having a cookout at my place today, and yet I still took the time to get these up. You should be grateful. Continue reading ‘Mass Media 09/05/09’ »